Friday, April 2, 2010

Dear Diary ...









It was a beautiful morning. The sun was shining, and as I sat on my new balcony for the first time, I wanted to jump for joy that spring is here. From the balcony, which overlooks a beautiful park, and has a gorgeous south-facing view of the Toronto skyline, the world looked happy. Dogs danced, jumped, and played in the park as their owners leisurely strolled nearby - a big contrast from the dog owners who shivered as their dogs quickly did their business and headed home only a short time ago. The cutest little West Highland white terrier wagged his tail vigorously, excited that his owner was going to throw a ball for him to catch, as another dog tried to join in the fun. Birds chirped, and a little bit of green peeked out from the trees. Life was good.

I grabbed my coffee and notebook, sat down at the patio table, and began to write in my journal. Ah, my journal. My friend and confidante for more years than I'd like to admit. Since I was about 12 years old, my journal has been the dumping ground for all the emotions, life stories, and daily events that I have needed to purge over the years. My journal was there in moments of crisis, through sleepless nights when my mind was too full to sleep, when I needed someone to talk to, but couldn't call anyone because it was too late.

My journal is my essential life tool. It helps me to focus, clear out the clutter in my mind, and set goals. It helps to unlock the creative mind, and gets me writing. In her book The Artist's Way, which I'll be blogging more about in future posts, author Julia Cameron talks about writing three pages of stream of consciousness each morning called "The Morning Pages." The purpose of the morning pages is to get rid of all the junk, negativity, and trivialities in your mind, so that the mind and creativity are opened. My morning pages are more like weekend rather than daily pages, but over the last several years, my journaling has taken on this three-page form. It has evolved from me spilling my problems as a teenager and young adult to almost a spiritual practice of setting goals and putting them out into the universe by writing about them. My journal is also my place to focus on my blessings, and write about my gratitude.

It's funny that something that used to house my negativity is now primarily a vehicle for positive energy and change. Don't get me wrong - I still whine and purge in my journal when I need to - but I am proud that it has become so much more than that.

In honour of journaling, I did a google search to research its benefits. Here are 100 Benefits of Journaling. As the website states, benefits of journal writing include stress reduction, an increase in self-awareness, emotional healing, and healthier relationships. Quite a bargain for the price of a pen and notebook!

I was comfy and content as I sipped my coffee and wrote on my balcony, taking in the beautiful weather, but the busy day ahead was calling. Before I went back inside, I took one last look at the park. I smiled at the springtime activity below me, grabbed my journal, and hugged it tight to my chest before returning it to its special place in my home, grateful for the beautiful way that I was able to start my day. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Tina - really great to hear how the journalling has followed you through your evolution. I have a blogger friend who doesn't write when she's happy. When her blog is "dry" for a long time it's good to know she's in a good place, but we miss her! Anyway, we can learn just as much about ourselves and the world by journalling when happy as well as sad/angry/frustrated...

    (I love to watch the dogs in the park near my house too!)

    ReplyDelete